Night VFR Rating
Remove the daylight only restriction on your licence and discover the spectacular world of night flying!
The Night VFR Rating (NVFR) allows you to fly by night in visual meteorological conditions (VMC). This can be quite a handy addition to your licence should you be delayed by weather or for any other reason.
Your training will provide you with the necessary skills to fly at night including visual navigation, navigation by ground-based aids (NDB/VOR) and GPS, operating the aircraft in the circuit and ground handling. The rating can be issued without restriction, or endorsed as single-engine only.
- Night Flying Theory
- Circuit Training
- Navigation Aid Training
- Instrument Flying
- Visual Navigation Exercises
- GPS Ground Course
At the completion of this course you will be ready to undertake the NVFR flight test.
Aeronautical experience requirements for the issue of a Night VFR Rating are detailed in Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASR) Part 61.O. The requirements are summarised as follows:
- Private Pilots Licence (PPL)
- Commercial Pilots Licence (CPL)
- Air Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL)
- 5 hours of navigation (minimum)
- 1 hours of solo circuits (minimum)
- 5 hours total multi-engine at night (minimum)
- 1 hour of solo circuits in multi-engine at night (minimum)
A formal assessment of your knowledge will be made by the testing officer prior to your flight test.
We recommend “Night Flying” by Aviation Theory Centre as a book that trainees can self-study. Airborne Aviation does not typically run dedicated NVFR theory classes, however preflight briefs will cover many aspects relating to the rating.
Below is an estimate based on pricing current at 1st May 2018 and includes all the training an average trainee requires to meet the standard required for the flight test.
Courses typically run on a one-to-one basis and are designed to fit in to both your schedule and budget constraints.
- 12 Hours Single-Engine Dual (CT4E)
- 2 Hour Simulator Dual
- Landing Fees (3)
- Movement Fees (9)
- Book: Night Flight (Aviation Theory Centre)
- +2.5 Hours Single-Engine (CT4E)
- Testing Officer Fee
- Landing / Movement Fees
- Price is exclusive of GST.
- Payment can be made as you go, pre-paid in full or via installments.
- Hours quoted are the minimum requirements which are achivable by most trainees. If you are not up to the required standard at the completion of the course additional hours training will be required before you can be recommended for a flight test.
Exchange 7.5 hours of single-engine for multi-engine (PA34 Seneca II).
- 5 Hours Dual (PA34 / PA39)
- 2.5 Hours Flight Test (PA34 / PA39)
- Landing and Movement fees
Note: If you do not already hold a twin class rating additional training requirements by day will apply.